Monday, 6 July 2015

The Body Shop Drops of Youth Review

I don’t visit The Body Shop very often but I was in there on the hunt for a new bubble bath and while I was there I saw a display for the Drops of Youth collection. Anything that promises to delay the signs of aging and give fresh and smooth skin is bound to get my attention so no surprise that I thought I would give it a try. The range has a number of products but I picked up the Concentrate and the Bouncy Sleeping Mask.

All the products in the range contain Edelweiss stem cells which are used for their ‘renewing properties’ and Hyaluronic Acid. Although it may sound a bit scary Hyaluronic Acid is actually a component already found in the body, it is a lubricant found in joints and tissue where there is a high concentration of fluid. It is thought to retain moisture and when you think of it as doing that it becomes a whole lot less scary to slather this acid all over your face. The range has a fresh and moist fragrance (apparently products can smell like moisture, who knew?) which I really like and the packaging is a combination of glass and thick plastic so it feels sturdy and well made. 

The Body Shop Drops of Youth Concentrate and Mask
 
As for the products themselves, I didn’t get along very well with the overnight mask. It is an unusual consistency that is quite solid so you can spoon some out with the provided spatula and warm it between your fingers to liquefy it slightly. I then covered my face with it and proceeded to bed with it on as instructed. In the morning though I didn’t have ‘bouncy’ and plumped skin, however it did look moisturised but I think it was too thick/took too long to be absorbed into my skin because everytime I used this I would get a spot. It’s not like I never get spots but every morning I used this mask I would wake up with a shiny face and I would have a new blemish on my chin or near my nose (the usual suspects really). I tried using a thinner coverage, with and without the concentrate and I tried using it directly after a toner but I always got the same results so my best guess would be that this mask might suit a drier skin type where it would absorb more quickly than mine.


As for the concentrate, that was a totally different kettle of fish. I really like this formula, it has the same fresh scent and it is a thick consistency but still liquid enough to apply evenly all over the face with just a few drops. It absorbs quickly and leaves the skin feeling smooth and plumper but not at all tight. The bottle has a handy dropper but as it is quite thick in viscosity this only picks up one to two drops at a time, which is no big deal. I did try using this of a morning underneath my makeup but I found that it gave my foundation a fluffy appearance and would ball up in some areas.

I found I got the best results with this when I used it immediately after cleansing in the evening and then about fifteen minutes later I would apply a light moisturiser over top. I would use this at night and look fresh faced and well rested in the morning with a nice even complexion. Which is what the line is meant to provide so a tick for this product.
Overall I wouldn’t say either product were must haves but if you are looking for a night time treatment that is fast absorbing or specifically after a gel/liquid I would suggest giving the concentrate a go. Oils seem to be all the rage right now but they don’t suit everyone so this could be a winner if you fall into that category.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment