Friday, 3 April 2015

Summer Favourites 2015

Now don’t get me wrong, I buy and trial my fair share of makeup and skincare products throughout the year, but I definitely wouldn’t say that every month I find new favourites. I love the idea of monthly favourite blog posts and videos, in fact they are some of my favourites to read and watch. But my own beauty regime is much more seasonal than monthly. I change out products with the changing of the weather so for me a seasonal favourite post seems like a much better fit.

Now this isn’t a definitive list of all the products I use over the summer, it’s more so a collection of the items that I use especially often or even exclusively in the warmer weather. Whether it be skincare items the work best for me when my skin is dehydrated or makeup that looks better on me when I have a touch more warmth in my complexion these are the things I would be worse off for if I was without. With that been said, here is my best of summer products for 2015.

I’m going to start with this product because first of all it’s a bit boring, let’s be honest, but secondly because it’s probably the most important thing on this page. A good sunscreen that you can wear under your makeup without it affecting how you look will make you so much more likely to actually wear it. The Kit Cosmetics SPF 30+ Face is a real winner, I apply it a few minutes after my morning moisturiser and then wait a couple of minutes before getting on with my base makeup. I like to let the layers soak in or else I just feel like they get all mixed up on my face and don't absorb or last as well. It doesn’t get greasy throughout the day, it doesn’t make your makeup get that fluffy appearance when you apply foundation and it’s a high enough protection to do what it’s meant to; anything less than SPF 30+ and I feel like I’m wasting my time.
These are a few of the skincare products that I use to essentially keep my face as hydrated as possible. The Origins Make A Difference Plus + Treatment is a gel consistency cream that refreshes and soaks into the skin quickly. I use this as a night time moisturiser and apply it quite thinly and let it soak in and then after go in with more in certain areas if I feel like I need it right before bed. The spray is the Mario Badescu Facial Spray and is something I have spoken about before, I apply it straight after cleansing and it helps hydrate the skin. It has been a face-saver through summer but I’ll likely use it year round, it’s really that good. The cleanser is a relatively new find and it is the Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel. I have been using this alone on good skin days and after a stronger cleanser on not-so-good skin days. It is a non-foaming gel that rids the skin of that filmy residue that some other cleaners/makeup removers leave behind. It feels refreshing, moisturises the skin and smells like cucumber and citrus, very summery indeed.
Now on to the fun stuff, the makeup.
Now obviously this isn’t all I wore during summer but these are the things that I probably dove in to my makeup drawer for on a daily basis and didn't switch up at all. My bronzer of choice has been the Bourjois Delice de Poudre Bronzer in 52, it’s great for pale skin and when applied with a light hand and you will get enough glow to look like you have seen the sun but not so much that you look dirty or unnatural #palegirlproblems. In the pan you can see tiny little gold shimmer bits but thankfully these are non-existent when applied to the face and it appears pretty much completely matte to me.

Continuing with the glowy complexion ideal my highlighter has been the Mary-Lou Manizer powder highlighter. As much as I love a cream or liquid highlighting product in summer a powder just tends to last so much longer on me so I usually opted for this one.

For lips in summer I always like a nice plain look. I know that in the summer lots of people flock to brights but when its 35°C and over the last thing I want to battle with is a melting bright mouth so I tend to go with rose toned nudes or sheer browns (plus these look the best on me when I have blushing cheeks which are a staple for me in the heat). Two of my favourites products for this are the MAC In Anticipation Pro Longwear Lip Pencil (this will not budge, you will need makeup remover for this) or the Revlon ColourBurst Matte Balm in Elusive 205 (this is mint scented and makes me feel fresh even at the end of the work day) and the Covergirl LipPerfection Jumbo Gloss Balm in 270. Can you tell I like lip products in pencil/crayon form? You can just colour-in your lips and go.  


Now to some people, these polishes might just look like three different shades of the colour pink, but I promise they are different enough to justify having all three. See below picture for further justification for splurging on all three. My favourites lately have been from Essie and are Peach Daiquiri, Splash of Grenadine and Watermelon (T-B).

For hair I’m pretty low fuss. I don’t use a leave-in conditioner every time I wash my hair, more like when I remember/can be bothered, but I do like to use the Schwarzkopf Extra Care Colour Protect Leave-In Conditioner one in summer because that’s when my hair is usually exposed to more bright sunlight, chlorine in pools and is generally more dehydrated. I don’t really buy the bit about ‘liquidised crystals’ but the fact it’s specifically for coloured hair and has a UV filter is enough to sucker me in.


Now this isn’t really a beauty product but it helps me get my ‘beauty sleep’ so I thought I’d include it. Sometimes in the warmer weather I need a bit of encouragement to fall asleep. It’s easy to crawl into bed and cuddle up when it freezing outside and you can hear wintery rain falling but when the daylight lasts so late into the evening I can often be busy right up till bedtime so it’s nice to have something that calms me down quickly and preps me for sleep. Some people like wine, but I prefer lavender. I keep this diffuser on my bed head and I take a nice big inhale near it if I’m tossing about and it almost always sends be straight to sleep. If you struggle with relaxing before bed or you find your mind is always racing when it’s meant to be winding down then this could be of benefit for you. Tilley Australia make some beautiful scents but the Tasmanian Lavender one is a definite favourite, not to mention the reed diffusers last a really long time.

 
So that's it for my summer wrap up. I personally love the cooler weather so now that the leaves have began changing colour and the weather has chilled off a bit I can honestly say that I'm slightly thrilled. The prospect of boots and scarves and dark lipsticks and fluffy socks gets me all giddy so here's hoping we have a true Autumn this year.
 

4 comments: